new home

Nov 1, 2016 22:12 · 331 words · 2 minutes read google cloud blog

Well there, kiddos, this is (I think) the third or fourth time in the past year that I’ve moved this site that nobody ever reads. The precipitating reason was that I was moving off of my old hosting site. That and the fact that I needed to learn a but more about Google Cloud Services.

The good thing is that I have owned this domain name practically since such things as domains existed. After transfering the domain to Google domains I had to spend some time figuring out how to set up DNS to point a domain to a Google storage bucket. It’s really easy, create a CNAME, point it to the storage bucket, and forward any incoming traffic to that CNAME entry.

The only problems I had were figuring out exactly what each of the previous DNS entries did. The ones from the previous hosting setup. I am not, in any way, a DNS expert. But after enough poking around and deleting stuff I got it all working (I think).

The real payoff, in my opinion, was using gsutil, the command line management console for the Google cloud. Now then, I learned to use about one tenth of one percent of gsutil, namely cp + rm + rsync but damnit it was enough for one day.

What’s great about gsutil is that it exacts nearly exactly as a linux user would expect. Things like -r mean recursive and -d- means delete. Which makes sense, but I am always suprrised how much some tools try to reinvent a very old wheel.

All of this put together means that to update this site I write somethign in markdown, run hugo in the local directory to export the site, and then rsync it to the storage bucket and it’s done. With luck that means I’ll spend more time updating stuff, since it’s easier.

NB: for some reason the CSS for this theme puts the # characters before <h> tags. I will fix that.